Implantation aftercare guidelines about what to do after one-phase implants
Because proper aftercare is an important part of a successful dental implant, it is very important to talk about what and how to do it after implantation. We are sure that many people have simple questions regarding either before implantation or after implantation. Every surgery comes with some discomfort, so it is important that we do our best to minimize it. This also includes learning as much as possible about one-phase dental implantation aftercare.
It is an undeniable fact that dental implants are the most similar to natural teeth, both in terms of aesthetic appearance and chewing function. Unfortunately, this type of denture is not one of the cheapest prosthetic solutions. This is especially true when dentures are made using original Swiss implants and techniques. This makes aftercare of the implants even more important.
We will help you with this, ie we will tell you the most important steps in the care of dental implants in the framework of one-phase dental implantation aftercare. So, let’s start without further ado and talk about aftercare after implantation.
Dental implantation is associated with some discomfort or mild pain. You can experience swelling in the first 24-48 hours, which is normal after surgery. Ice can be used to easily reduce swelling. Put a handful of ice on a towel or napkin and hold it on your face for at least 10 minutes occasionally and repeat it every 20 minutes until the swelling goes away.
Take one-phase dental implantation aftercare and health seriously. Just because the implants are artificial doesn’t mean they do not require the same level of caring as natural teeth. But there are certain things you need to consider for a hale & healthy smile.
- Avoid brushing in the surgical area right after the surgery.
- Consider mild-warm salt mouthwashes. (but make sure it is not so hot).
- Try to keep the food away from the surgical area. It is advised not to smoke or consume alcohol as it severely impacts the healing stage.
Here are some post-implant care suggestions that make healing faster, painless, and avoid complications.
– Things to avoid immediately after one-phase implant surgery. Only cold drinks should be consumed during implant care, hot drinks or hot foods should be avoided for the first few days. Also, try not to disturb the surgical area with your tongue and especially not with your finger. Do not rinse for the first 24 hours! If there is too much saliva in your mouth, spit it out, but do not rinse it off.
– Your face might swell on the second or third day right after your treatment. It is absolutely normal but in case if your pain is unbearable, then consult your specialist. Do note that swelling can be reduced with an ice pack.
– Later, after a meal, keep the surgical area as clean as possible. This will help you recover faster.
– Avoid any exercise such as running or workout for the first 48 hours. Do not bend or lift heavy things, do not do heavy physical work.
– You may experience pain for the first week. This can be alleviated by consuming the prescribed antibiotics and painkillers prescribed by your dentist. The first dose should be taken before the local anesthetic wears out. This is an important part of one-phase dental implantation aftercare.
– There may be minimal bleeding after implant surgery, which is normal. Moistened gauze can be applied light pressure to the bleeding site. Make sure your head is raised and avoid doing hard work during this time. These simple rules are an important element of one-phase dental implantation aftercare.
– It is also important to mention, do not miss the antibiotic treatment prescribed by your dentist.
– It is advisable to rinse gently with a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of salt for a week after meals. This speeds up the healing process.
– Start brushing your teeth that day. Clean the rest of your teeth except the surgical area for the first 2 days. As soon as sensitivity allows, the surgical area can also be cleaned.
– Use a natural source mouthwash for at least a week. Hold half a cap of mouthwash over the surgical area for a minute. This has to be repeated 3 times a day over a period of 1 week.
– If you are a smoker it is strongly recommended to stop smoking for at least one or two weeks, but at least until the wound heals.
– Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Toothpaste & floss has to be as per your specific denture. You can consult the dentist for the same.
If you follow these bits of advice and suggestions for proper one-phase dental implantation after, your chance of having problems with your implants is greatly reduced. And that means you can have a happier life and last but not least you can have a great smile. We mentioned a one-phase implant throughout the article, but be aware that this type of implant is also called immediate loading implants.
If you have any comments on this subject, please write in the Comment part. If you would like to know more about the subject, please Contact Us!
This article is a modified copy, licensed from iliDent.com!
Source: iliDent Implantology and Oral Surgery Center Budapest © Copyright 2020 iliDent.com